If you are interested in joining a school system that actively helps you pursue your passion as an educator, we encourage you to consider Gering Public Schools in Gering, Nebraska! We are committed to providing all children with the very best public education.
We believe qualified, dedicated educators are the key to this success. As you'll discover by exploring this website, we offer an array of opportunities to help you reach your greatest potential. Plus, you'll find that Gering is a wonderful place to live and raise a family!
A message from Bob Hastings, Superintendent of Gering Public Schools:
"There can be little doubt that a staff of enthusiastic educators are vital to the quality of the education we provide to our students. Our staff have a direct and significant impact on the lives of the students of Gering. Without a dedicated staff, the children of Gering would not be able to receive the excellent education for which Gering Public Schools is recognized."
GPS DIRECTION STATEMENT
The Gering Public Schools' purpose statement sums up our system-wide commitment to helping students succeed:
"The purpose of Gering Public Schools is to develop the academic, personal, and social skills of all students and to prepare them to be productive, responsible global citizens."
If you share the values expressed in our purpose, we are confident you will discover a rewarding career as an educator with GPS.
As a teacher in the Gering Public Schools system, you will be given many opportunities to achieve professional and personal success. We believe educators should be life-long learners. To that end, GPS offers many programs to help you futher your credentials.
With our competitive pay, modern classrooms, and a supportive attitude, the Gering Public Schools provides an excellent environment to help you develop your career in education.
Teacher-Friendly Learning Environments
- Spacious classrooms designed with 1,000 square feet of space and year-round air conditioning
- Elementary classrooms with an average student to teacher ratio of 20:1
- Secondary classrooms with an average student to teacher ratio of 20-25:1
Competitive Compensation Programs
- Credit for professional training beyond a bachelor's degree. Hours applying toward horizontal advancement on the salary schedule must be obtained from an accredited institution of higher education and either be hours obtained in graduate level courses which are in the teacher's assigned area of instruction or be approved in advance and in writing by the superintendent or administrative designee.
- Credit for experience. Newly hired non-administrative certificated staff shall be granted unlimited years experience received in previous districts subject to limitations of allowable steps on the Gering Public Schools' salary schedule. This credit shall be applied to purposes of longevity and salary schedule placement.
The Gering Public Schools offers a competitive benefits package. The following are a few of the highlights:
- Our IRS Flex Plan gives you the opportunity to set aside tax-free dollars to pay for any out-of-pocket medical expenses and babysitting expenses.
- The district pays a portion of an Employee Blue Cross and Blue Shield health and dental insurance plan. Spouse and dependent coverage is also available.
- District employees who work 20 or more hours per week automatically participate in the Public Retirement System of the State of Nebraska.
- Tax-sheltered annuities are available to all certificated employees with income deferred until a certain age (generally 65).
- All employees of GPS are covered by a liability and indemnity insurance for any injury occurring during the course of employment and are entitled to the benefits provided by the Worker's Compensation Law.
- Long-term disability, or income protection insurance, is mandatory for certified staff who work a minimum of four (4) hours per day.
- Sick leave consists of ten (10) full days of paid leave for each contract year for injury or illness for full-time faculty. Unused sick leave may cumulate to a total of 66 days maximum.
- Two personal leave days (2) with full pay are given to certified staff members.
- Vision and Life Insurance is available at low group rates.
Gering offers the advantages of a larger city while retaining the desired qualities of a small family-friendly community.
Ready access to:
- Excellent health care, retail and entertainment
- Outdoor sports with hunting, fishing, swimming and shooting parks in the immediate vicinity of Gering
- Hiking/biking trails throughout the community
- In addition, Gering is located near I-80. The community is conveniently located near Cheyenne, WY (1.5 hours) and Denver (3.5 hours)