On Tuesday, March 14th, patrons of Gering Public Schools passed a $24 million bond issue for the purpose of making additions and renovations to Gering High School. The purpose of the additions and renovations are three-fold:
- Safety and Security: GPS staff, parents, and community members have recommended to the Board of Education that they improve safety and security at Gering High School. Recommendations included designing controlled access entrances and implement significant safety upgrades including relocation of the office to the entrance of the building, a buzz-in system, and improvements to the security systems throughout the building to enhance safety at Gering High School.
- Renovation: GPS staff, parents, and community members have recommended to the Board of Education that major portions of Gering High School be renovated to accommodate grade configuration changes, bring the 51 year-old building up to current fire safety and ADA code, improve an antiquated HVAC and electrical system, and put the facility into a position to last for another 30-50 years. Areas of GHS that require renovation include the library/media center, the current kitchen and cafeteria areas, the auditorium lobby and restrooms, and the locker room and weight room.
- Grade Configuration: GPS staff, parents, and community members have recommended to the Board of Education that the grade configuration throughout the district be changed so that we have kindergarten - 5th grade elementary schools, a 6th - 8th grade junior high, and a 9th - 12th grade high school. In order to accomplish these goals, space for 140-170 students must be added to Gering High School in the form of classrooms, commons spaces, and gymnasium space. GHS currently maintains the last 10th - 12th grade high school in Nebraska which limits both academic and extracurricular opportunities for students. Locating freshman at the high school will provide them with better access to advanced programming, co- and extracurricular activities, and better ensure student safety as movement between the freshman academy and the high school would no longer be necessary.
Bond Issue Related Information
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Public Information Meetings Schedule
- Gering High School Building Tour Schedule
- Artist Rendering of the Exterior of Updated Gering High School
- Tentative Floor Plan of Updated Gering High School
- Bond Resolution Approved by the Gering Public Schools Board of Education
- Strategic Planning Goal Related to Bond Issue